The Remarkable Connection between Massage and Heart Health
Discover how massage therapy can benefit your heart health by improving blood flow, reducing stress, and promoting relaxation.
Published: June 10th, 2023 | By: Tom Newby | Read Time: 2 mins
At MMC, we are always interested in conveying valuable information on health and wellness, particularly if it is related to massage! Today, we want to explore an intriguing topic: the remarkable connection between massage therapy and heart/cardiovascular health.
Massage therapy goes beyond musclular and mental relaxation; it can also have a positive impact on your cardiovascular system. Let’s delve a little into how massage therapy can improve blood flow and promote overall heart well-being.
- Enhancing Blood Circulation: The enhanced blood flow resulting from massage can have systemic effects on the cardiovascular system. When blood vessels dilate in one area, it can lead to improved circulation throughout the body. This means that the increased blood flow from the massage can benefit not only the muscles being massaged but also other tissues and organs, including the heart. This increased circulation optimizes the delivery of oxygen and essential nutrients to your tissues and organs. Scientific evidence supporting the connection between massage and improved blood flow and cardiovascular health is still evolving, and more research is definitely needed. However, several studies have shown positive effects of massage on blood circulation and cardiovascular parameters.
- Lowering Blood Pressure: Research has shown that regular massage sessions can help lower blood pressure levels. By promoting relaxation and reducing stress, massage therapy assists in regulating blood pressure, reducing the risk of hypertension and related cardiovascular issues.
- Stress Reduction: Chronic stress can take a toll on your heart and overall health. Massage therapy is a powerful tool for relieving stress, activating the body’s relaxation response. By releasing tension and promoting a sense of calm, massage helps manage stress levels, supporting improved heart health.
- Improving Heart Rate Variability: Heart rate variability (HRV), the variation in time intervals between heartbeats, is an indicator of cardiovascular health. Studies suggest that regular massage sessions can increase HRV, indicating improved heart function and adaptability to stress.
- Addressing Muscle Tension: Muscle tension and ‘tension knots’ or trigger points can restrict blood flow and cause discomfort. Massage therapy targets these areas of tension, releasing tightness and promoting improved circulation. Relaxed muscles facilitate better blood flow, supporting cardiovascular health.
Your heart health matters. Massage can be part of a lifestyle that maximises cardiovascular well-being, please do drop in or book online to schedule a session with one of us. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or would like to book an appointment. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Mon: 11.00am - 9.30pm
Tue: 7.00am - 9.30pm
Wed: 9.00am - 3.30pm
Thurs: 7.00am - 6.00pm
Fri: 8.30am - 9.30pm
Sat: 7.00am - 9.30pm
All appointments booked in advance, give us a call if you need to.